Friday, August 20, 2010

Yummy Recipe!

My kids love tortillas. Not tortilla chips (although they like those, too). Tortillas. Round flat soft taco shells. They like them with almost anything in them - melted cheese, lunch meat and lettuce, pb and honey, hot dogs cut up, refried beans, fajita fixins ... the list goes on and on. It's hard for me to believe that as a kid I didn't even know these babies existed! For us, white Wonder bread was the pinnacle of the bread family!
Anyway, I just tried a new recipe for supper last night. This is always a risky endeavour, as you other mothers know. Four pairs of eyes looked upon the steaming pan in the centre of the dinner table with suspicion and disdain. My family likes to eat familiar yummy things, so I always have to tie a new dish into something they already love.
"What is this, Mom???"
"It's called Cheesy Enchiladas..."
"Cheesy what? What are enchiladas?"
"Are they like chimichangas?" (This from my husband.)
"I don't know because I've never had chimichangas. BUT they're in tortilla shells and they have ground beef and cheese in them SO I'll bet they taste a lot like tacos, which we all already LOVE!!"
After the pep talk, I just started dishing it out. No negotiations, no grumbling ... adventurous attitudes only, thank you very much. Well, they LOVED it! Yippee. Another one I can transfer into my new green recipe book for keepsies.
Thought you might like to try it, too.

Sunni's Cheesy Enchiladas (I don't know who Sunni is - I knew you'd ask, though)
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed (I used nacho cheese product plus grated cheddar instead)
1 can diced tomatoes
16 oz. sour cream
1/8 cup butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
garlic salt (dash)
salt and pepper to taste
approx. 8-10 tortilla shells, depending how full you make them

Brown meat with 1/2 of onion. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Drain and set aside. In saucepan, mix sour cream and tomatoes. Add butter and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add cheese. Add remaining onion. Simmer 5 minutes on low, continually stirring. Add a portion of the cheese sauce to the ground beef mixture and fill tortillas. Roll tortillas, then place seam side down into greased baking dish. Spoon remaining sauce over tortillas. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.

What with the heat wave we've been living with around here, I actually did these in foil on the bbq, just for a shorter time, and they were great. Hope you like 'em!

1 comment: