Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What Takes You Back?


Recently our neighbourhood has been graced by several visits from a fantastically airbrushed, magically musical ice cream van. Yes, you read that right. It's an ice cream van. It cruises up and down the streets in our area, piping out its tantalizing circus music for all the children to hear. It's so funny to watch the kids' reactions because it's a perfect reenactment of my own childhood experience.
"Mom, Dad!!! It's the ice cream truck!!"
"Yeah, I hear the music...it really is!"
"Everybody run! Get your money!"
All three of them go roaring down to their rooms (moving faster than they have all summer, the little rascals) and then fly out the door with coins in hand. As the chief launderer of the household, I'm also sad to report that they are usually in white socks without shoes. As I said, this is perfectly reminiscent of my own ice cream truck years ...with the exception of one little detail. OUR ice cream truck was more technically an ice cream BIKE. It was ridden by a solitary rider dressed in white (many of us girls saw him as our knight in shining armour) and was basically a chest freezer on wheels. Does anybody else remember these things? The music that caught our ears was the simple ringing of the bells ... but those little bells caused quite the uproar when we heard them!
It's amazing how a little thing like an ice cream van can make you feel like a kid again. Will you think I'm weird if I tell you that my heart rate increases a little bit when I hear those words, "It's the ice cream truck!!" ?? I think a lot of it is just watching my own kids enjoy something that I used to find so exciting. Life can be pretty fun sometimes.
How about you? Is there something that "takes you back?" A song? A smell? A place? A book? I have lots of them. I'd love to hear some of yours!

4 comments:

  1. The smell of petunias on a hot summer day, and the blueish night light remind me of my grama's house. Add a hot poptart wrapped in a paper towel and you're close to heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BIG mountains, rivers and forests. I grew up in BC all the nature there is big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big nature ... I like that term. When I sit by a quiet northern Ontario lake early in the morning I feel like a kid again at the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I smell yeast dough rising, I'm so reminded of my Mom's baking. Every Saturday morning, I would wake up to the smell of yeast dought as she got up early and started on homemade bread and buns. Aw-w, no wonder I still love my carbs!

    ReplyDelete