Thursday, January 28, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

This may seem odd to you, that I'm wishing myself a Happy Birthday. Does it? I guess it might look a little self-centred or maybe it just seems weird that a 41-year old gal like myself is actually CELEBRATING another climb up the birthday ladder. Oh well. The fact of the matter is that this year I'm totally happy about my birthday. Maybe it's the fact that last year for my 40th I was confined to the couch with the worst head cold I've ever had. And we had to cancel all festivities (which included ice skating and cake & hot chocolate back here at home). It feels good to feel good for my birthday, for Pete's sake.

Actually, I think the main reason I'm so happy on my birthday this year is just that I'm feeling plain old thankful. On the way to work this morning, I was talking to God about stuff and I found myself saying, "Thanks for 41 years on this planet, Lord!" As my mind started to wander over the years of my life, it felt like I was watching a slide show in my own head (I know, I'm weird) ... the blessings just went on and on. How can you not enjoy your own birthday when God brings to mind an unending list of things to thank Him for?

So here are just a few of the blessings I am pondering on the big 4-1. (Don't worry, I won't be silly and try to think of 41 of them... you have better things to do):

  • Parents who loved, encouraged and taught me what I needed to know for life
  • Sixteen years of marriage to a man who loves, respects and values me
  • Three amazing kids who challenge me and let me be part of their lives
  • A flexible job where I get to do what I love the most (teach kids) and yet have lots of time for my family as well.
  • Life in a free country
  • God's amazing, unconditional love for me
  • Friends
  • A van that is on its last legs (wheels?) but still roars to life every morning for me
  • Health
  • Our new hardwood floors
  • A great school for the kids, with (so far) no major issues to deal with

Thank You, Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Precious post. Thanks for the perspective check , Steph. Love Laur

    ReplyDelete